.

.

Friday, September 16, 2016

Mason's growing up!

I haven't done a special update on Mason in a while. He is doing so great and growing up so fast. He doesn't look like a baby anymore, he is looking more and more like a little boy all the time. The biggest news about Mason is that he is now walking, no assistance! He loves to walk. He started taking independent steps at the beginning of the year, in January. And since then he'd randomly take s a few steps unassisted. It just built up from there. Then one day a couple months ago, end of June. We had just gotten him some crutches to move on to since he has been using his walker all this time. And it was like something suddenly clicked and he decided he wanted to walk on his own!! He started walking all over the house one night and Malone and I couldn't believe it. Ever since he pretty much just does it on his own. The only problem is he can't stand or stop without holding on to something. And he has to pull to stand. And his balance isn't perfect yet, he often loses his balance and falls down. If he has something to stand up to he will get right up, but he will crawl also. We are currently working on using the crutches for something to hold onto when he stands. He basically just carries the crutches when he walks and they get in the way. We are also working on standing up without holding on to anything. But honestly, him being able to walk has been such a huge blessing. It gives me hope knowing he can be a little more independent. We have a long way to go but I am so thankful for all the milestones he reaches.





Mason talks like crazy. I'd say it's his strongest feature. He talks in full sentences, and sometimes surprises us with things he can say. He is so smart. Next week we are doing some testing with the school district to see where Mason fits in for preschool. We will find what works for him, whatever that is. I wanted to write about some of the things he says that are so funny. One day on the way home from church one Sunday, Mason was describing how he had pooped in his diaper at church that day. He said,  " It's coming, it's coming it's coming, then pop! Into my diaper!" haha He continues to call me Mommy Bug and dad Daddy Monster. He knows his full name and says it. He can't pronounce his F's, he says the D sound instead. It is pretty cute. He is learning to butter me up already by saying, Please?! I appreciate when he is polite, naturally.

Mason's third birthday is coming up next month and it will be the first time we've had family at his birthday! We can't wait.

His disability doesn't slow him down. In fact, I don't see him as "disabled". Only when I get around other people's kids or talk to other moms do I see the difference, but to me he's perfect the way he is. Do I wish he didn't have to struggle with walking? Yes. But would I exchange all that I have learned and experiences I have gained through having a child like Mason for it? I don't think so. I think Heavenly Father knew the lessons we'd learn from Mason and how he would strengthen us in ways we didn't know possible. I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father and His plan for us.






0 comments: