I hadn't planned on writing till after the baby arrived, but I just had to update a couple things I learned at my doctor appointments today.
My first appointment was with the neurosurgeon at Primary's who will be operating on the baby's back and monitoring his hydrocephalus. It was a really great appointment! It was a long conversation, mostly him explaining the surgery procedure and what to expect afterwards. But I'll hit the highlights- first of all, the idea of my baby spending a month in the hospital would be very unlikely. He would have to have complication on top of complication for him to be there that long, so worst case scenario. But it is more likely that he'll be in the hospital about a week. That compared to a month sounds SO much better. Of course it all depends on how things go, but the nurse practitioner (who was also in the room) said to most likely plan on 5-7 days. So there is a chance that at the end of the week our whole family can go home together! That would be amazing! Second, the neurosurgeon says that he tries really hard to not go straight for the shunt with babies with hydrocephalus. Once the back is repaired, and a baseline measurement of the head is taken, he monitors the head very closely for a while to see how the baby does. If it is extremely serious, we'd know within the first couple days if a shunt is necessary. However, alot of babies can go months before the need for a shunt. Some don't need one at all! He said that only 70% of babies actually need a shunt. That number compared to the 90% I had heard previously sounded good to me. Babies who undergo the fetal surgery, 50% of them still need shunts. Surprisingly I am good with those odds. And I am happy to have a doctor who is willing to push it a little, he won't put in a shunt unless he feels it is absolutely necessary. In the past doctors put one in immediately no questions asked. And believe it or not, babies can handle a little water on the brain without brain damage because their heads are so soft and flexible because their skull hasn't fused yet. An adult couldn't handle that much pressure because their skull is fused and the pressure builds faster because there is no room to expand like a baby's skull does. How interesting is that? Anyway, it all made sense to me and I feel good about the plan my doctor has for him. When we do finally get the baby home the neurosurgeon will be working with our pediatrician back home to monitor the hydrocephalus. We will need to come back to Salt Lake City for followups over the next few months so the neurosurgeon can check things out. I realize to most people this sounds really scary, but right now I feel so good about this and how it is working out.
And speaking of things working out, I have to express my gratitude for all the help and prayers we have been blessed with. Looking back, I can see all the blessings that have come to us from this experience. When Malone and I first got pregnant and were figuring out finances to purchase things for the baby, it was a little overwhelming. We were a little concerned about getting everything we need for him with the little money we have to spend. But after the generous gifts of many people, we have what we need and more. I never thought it would work out this way! What a huge blessing! I am also so thankful that we decided not to do fetal surgery and do surgery after he is born. It has worked out so well because I am having this baby in a place where we have family support, it's not too far away from home, he is going to be a healthy baby who is full term when he arrives, I have been healthy and didn't have to worry about what life would have been like had we chosen fetal surgery, and we have amazing doctors who have helped us along the way. The doctors here seem really great and I actually like them quite a bit! Malone and I were able to get baby boy on medicaid right before I got here, so knowing he's covered is such a relief. That is just a few things off the top of my head that I can think of that have worked out so well. I just am so thankful for the way things have turned out so far. After today, I just know that things will be okay. I know we made the right decisions that brought us here. And I know that me and baby will be in good hands next week. I haven't felt so confident this entire pregnancy. The reassurance feels so good after all the uncertainty we've felt during the last 6 months. I remember praying and asking Heavenly Father, you've got me on board now what do you want me to do? And I have felt his guidance throughout all the decisions we have had to make and I couldn't be more grateful.
I am also grateful to all the people who have helped us out in so many ways. Both our families have been so supportive of us. Even members we maybe haven't seen in a while have reached out with prayers, gifts, and even letting me come and stay for two weeks, which means so much. We have friends who have also reached out and helped us from gifts, to getting our mail when we're out of town, to pet sitting our dogs while we are away, as well as words of love, support, and prayers. Some of that might sound silly but knowing we have people we can depend on and help us has been one of the biggest blessings we have received. While this experience has been rough and scary at times, I am thankful to have had it because I don't think I would have seen how the Lord works and how aware he is of us and how he loves us and takes care of us through others. It has inspired me to try and be that kind of person for others, to listen to the spirit and to serve others more. Because you sometimes may not even realize how much your service means to others. I now know that for myself because of this experience. It just goes to show how Heavenly Father kind of molds us into our potential selves and I can honestly say I am so excited to see where this leads me in the end.
Update: I forgot to mention that I am scheduled to deliver c section first thing Monday morning (14th). And our son will have surgery on his back first thing Tuesday morning (15th). Please keep us in your prayers.




1 comments:
What a wonderful update Danielle! It was so amazing seeing you last night and seeing how positive and upbeat you are about everything. I'm so glad to hear that he will probably be coming home within a week. I'm so excited for your family and for what lies ahead. You are going to be an incredible mom and Heavenly Father must really love and have a lot of trust in you to give you this sweet baby boy. It is really a blessing that you've been able to go to full term and he will be so much stronger because of it. You, Malone and baby boy are in our prayers and I CANNOT wait to meet him! We love you!!
Post a Comment