Mason is 9 months old this month! I am a little late in posting, so he's about 9 1/2 months now. Mason had his 9 month checkup and he is 17.2 lbs, 27 1/2 inches long, and his HC is 48.9 cm. He is 11th percentile in weight and 17th percentile in length and 99th percentile for head circumference. Last time I posted I mentioned that his doctors at Scottish Rite Hospital were concerned about his weight. I mentioned this to his pediatrician at his appointment and she said she wasn't concerned about it. He might be a little light, but he looks good and healthy. And according to their records he's gained like 2 pounds since he had been there last. So he is growing!
A couple weeks ago we took Mason to see an ophthalmologist. At first I didn't fully understand why we needed to see an eye doctor at such a young age, but I come to find out that kids with hydrocephalus are more likely to have eye problems from the pressure in their brains. It can cause problems on the optic nerves. Luckily Mason's eyes are looking fantastic! And he was such a good boy at letting the doctor look at him.
Mason is an expert at sitting up now and will sit for a long time by himself. I can put him in the cart at the store and he'll sit up there the whole time like a big boy! He jabbers all the time in his own language, often saying "da da" along with many other sounds. He doesn't bear much weight on his legs so he can't pull himself up to stand yet. And he isn't up to crawling yet. He just rolls. I think he rolls because it's easier for him. In therapy we have been working with him to get him ready to crawl. We'll put him in the crawling position and let him strengthen his arms We also give him exercises to help strengthen his legs so he can bear more weight eventually. We are expecting to start Mason on physical therapy in addition to occupational (not sure why we'd need both right now, we are still working it out!). I think physical therapy will be more helpful in getting Mason to bear weight. Mason eats everything we put in front of him. He eats really well and will insist he eat off our plates sometimes. Mason now has 3 teeth! His first top tooth popped through the other day. And I can almost see his other top tooth coming through. It's just a matter of a few days! Mason has learned to gimme five and has learned to clap this month. He is learning quickly! I love seeing him learn new things! He also has learned how to pick up little snacks and put them in his mouth.
Mason has been sleeping pretty good at night. For a little while he was sleeping through the night, but then his teething started waking him up one or two times during the night.
![]() |
| Mason's first time swimming |
Recently Mason has gotten to go swimming for the first time! We have a pool here at our apartment complex that we can swim in anytime. Mason really enjoyed it! There is a shallow part in the pool about 6 inches deep that he could just sit and splash.
![]() |
| our attempt at a group shot! |
I could go on and on about this kid and how amazing he is. He is always so happy and smiles all the time. His sweet spirit is such a blessing in our home!







0 comments:
Post a Comment