.

.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

San Francisco- Days 4-7

After our decision was made with our nurse, Malone and I were done. We left UCSF and had the rest of the weekend to do what we wanted before we headed home. When we got back to the hotel, we went ahead and made arrangements for our flight home on Monday. After that we drove out to Oakland where we rented our car and got a new car rental. When we rented our first car, we only rented it till Friday so we needed to return it and re-rent (long story). Since we were in Oakland, we decided to go check out the Oakland Temple. It was only about 20 minutes from the car rental place so we figured why not? I can definitely tell you the second we stepped foot onto temple grounds it felt different. I felt so comfortable and peaceful like coming home. Even though I had never been there before, it felt familiar. We walked around the grounds and took pictures and we visited the visitors center. It's a beautiful place! I loved it! I am so glad I am part of a church that is the same no matter where you go.

 
After visiting the temple we went back to the hotel and relaxed the rest of the day. Saturday we slept in, got ready and went to the mall nearby. We walked around checking things out, looked for some shoes for Malone, with no luck. There was a movie theater connected to the mall so we went over and bought some tickets for that afternoon to "The Lone Ranger". We decided to go grab some lunch before heading to the movie, so we went to Hooters! Malone hadn't been there before and we were both craving wings. When we got there we were watching one of the TV's that showed the news. An airplane had crashed at the San Francisco airport just a couple miles from where we sat! The pilot was flying an airplane that was new to him and he came in too low hitting the back end of the plane on the runway tearing it off. Two people were killed many were injured, some in critical condition. It was just a fluke thing. I couldn't believe something like that was happening only a few minutes from where we were sitting. I admit I was grateful that wasn't the airport we were flying out of Monday.

After lunch we went to see our movie. We got there really early and got good seats. "The Lone Ranger" was really quite good! I liked it, but it's not a movie I'd run out to buy. Malone really liked it though. After the movie we went back to the hotel and hung out some more.

The view outside of Nick's restaurant
Sunday we decided to just take a drive and see where we ended up! And it turned out great! First we drove up towards Golden Gate Park, but a lot of the roads were closed off for the day so we connected to the Great Highway that runs all the way down the west coast. We stopped at the beach for a few minutes and walked around, collecting sand dollars. It was windy and kind of cold outside and of course the water was freezing, so no playing in the waves for us! We continued on down the coast and eventually stopped for lunch at a little cafĂ© called Nick's. It had a beautiful view of the coast and apparently had some good seafood. I ordered some fish and chips and Malone got some fish tacos. All were so good! I'm not big into fish, but I enjoyed the fish I got a lot! That's saying something coming from someone who doesn't love fish. After lunch we continued down the coast, briefly passing a place called the Devil's Slide, which is basically a rock face that stretches into the water. I didn't get any pictures because we just drove past it. We made our way down to Half Moon Bay and decided it was time to get going home. Malone and I loved the trees and hills out there. There were lots of big vegetable gardens people sold local produce out of, and a little bit of farmland too. It felt good to be out of the city and into some countryside, and so close to the ocean too. It was a beautiful place! We crossed Crystal Springs Reservoir  and made our way to the bay side of the peninsula and back to the hotel. It was kind of fun to just go drive and explore not knowing where we were going to what we'd see out there. We had a really great time!






Monday finally rolled around and it was finally time to go home. I was actually really glad to go home. It had been the longest week ever and I missed being home. We packed up and headed to the airport around 9:30 to catch our 12:30 flight. It took us about half an hour to get to the rental place to drop off the car. We were able to catch a shuttle back to the airport and from there we had an hour and a half to get to our gate ( we had to be there at least an hour early ). We finally found where we were supposed to get our tickets and the line was LONG. We waited in line for about 30 to 45 minutes. By the time we got our tickets and went through security, we had 10 minutes to find our gate. Luckily our gate was right by security and we got there with 8 minutes to spare. How lucky! Of course we had to wait about 20 minutes before we could board, but I was glad we made it. We flew home and my mom picked us up from the airport. It's so nice to be home!!!

0 comments: